Sunday, April 24, 2011

Easter Escape

Pom Pom Dress

I found this pretty green flower material and thought it would make a really cute dress for one of my girls. I've seen some really simple kids dresses and had a go at making one up myself. I traced around an existing dress that fitted to get the right dimensions.

 I used a contrasting striped binding to frame the dress and create  straps. (This is handy to cover all the dodgy sewing!) The mix of stripes and flowers creates a retro look, which I like. I added this fun pom pom decoration for detail at the front of the dress and more binding. I knocked this one up in one afternoon. I wish sewing for myself was this simple!

Friday, April 8, 2011

A Bib for Bub-to-be

This is a really simple project to knock over in a half hour or, if you're a super good sewer, less. Same idea as the apron but heaps simpler. One bib shape in material and the same in plastic and up to one meter of bias binding (thick). I chose black so stains can't be seen on edges. Sew the top edge first and then the rest can be sewn in one go leaving enough binding at each end to tie around the child's neck. SEW EASY! This one might have to be a gift, Just found out today I am having a boy!!!

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Dirty Shirt Project

I am the worst stain removalist on earth and my kids are the best at messing up their clothes and have a wonderful time doing so. So many clothes turn into to rags simply because of a few stubborn stains. There has to be a way to save the clothes from eternal ragdom...

When I saw these little crocheted pieces at Ikea, I thought they would be perfect for covering stains and really quick and easy to apply to a shirt. So this is today's project.

Another shirt saved... mission accomplished.

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

An Apron for Chef Poppy

 I was given this cute cupcake material found at an op-shop. It was so obvious what I should do with it after   several cooking adventures that ended with Poppy covered in dough and pink icing... I saw some kids bibs at the market that were simple bib shape covered in plastic with bias binding sewn around edges to tie up at the back. I adapted this design to an apron shape, and did the same. I used velcro on the top left corner to adjust the strap around the neck.

It's a quick and easy craft project, which is great for gifts. I made a few more and rolled them around wooden mixing spoons as presents. Poppy loves the novelty of putting on her pretty apron when cooking and I love that all the mess wipes straight off afterwards... lifesaver! Now for some serious cooking...

And tada! Here is Poppy's masterpiece Barbie cookie! What a clever (and super cute) cook!